  • Subject: Re: Bale, Dan
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:08:22 -0500

Brian,

>I was hoping to find something like this...(kinda like the way a chain works
>then use the %Found trick)
>
>       If      %Negative(My_Numeric_Varriable)
>       Then do something
>       EndIf

OK, at least we know now where you were coming from.  I agree that in
some cases having a function named IsXxxx() which returns a true/false
indication can increase readability.  That's why you'll find things
like IsNumeric() or IsNull() in VB.

Personally, I'm not sure IsNegative() has as much merit, but it sure
wouldn't bother me in code either.  Just add something like the
following to your program.  It will accept any numeric variable of any
size up to 30 digits and 9 decimals; packed, zoned, binary, integer,
etc.  I'm not positive about floating point, but I think it is OK too.

     D IsNegative      PR             1
     D  Value                        30P 9 Const

     C                   If        IsNegative( My_Numeric_Var)
     C                   ....
     C                   Endif

     P IsNegative      B
     D IsNegative      PI             1
     D  Value                        30P 9 Const
     C                   Return    ( Value < 0 )
     P IsNegative      E

Personally, I'd put the IsNegative() function in a service program
with other similar functions.

That's the beauty of user-defined procedures.  You don't have to
petition Hans & Company to add this kind of stuff to RPG.  Just do it
yourself!  And it works even on V3R2.  Now.

Doug