Hi, Boothm,

Comments are inline:

On Mon, 06 Mar 2000 02:53:29 GMT
boothm@earth.Goddard.edu wrote in "OPNQRYF question":

  > The finished file has to be in order by substringing Column 3 through 27
  > of FIELDB.  The Physical file is already keyed by FIELDB.   For sorting I
  > tried KEYFIELD(*MAPFLD/FIELDBNBR) MAPFLD(FIELDBNBR '%SST(FIELDB 3 25)' )
  > but that wouldn't compile.

You can use the fields in MAPFLD for QRYSLT without specifying FORMAT
(ie. FORMAT is *FILE).

   OVRDBF  HTURISM SHARE(*YES)
   OPNQRYF HTURISM QRYSLT('MPYM=%RANGE('|<&FM_YYM|>&TO_YYM|<')') +
           OPTION(*ALL) MAPFLD((MPYM 'YY*100 + MM' *ZONED 6 0))

But, I have never used it in the KEYFLD before. So I tried to use it,
and I knew something. You should use it with FORMAT file.

 5 > call mbp310cl2x
       1700 - OVRDBF FILE(MBRV1LP) SHARE(*YES)
       1800 - OPNQRYF FILE((MBRV1LP)) KEYFLD((*MAPFLD/USR)) MAPFLD((USR
       '%SST(W6USID  1 5)' *CHAR 5))
     Key field *MAPFLD/USR not valid for record format. <CPD3112>
     Error occurred during processing of command.
       2200 - RETURN

So, I made the MBRV1LP2 that had a 'USR' field (*char 5) That was
defined in MAPFLD. And I specified FORMAT(MBRV1LP2).

 5 > call mbp310cl2y
       1700 - OVRDBF FILE(MBRV1LP) SHARE(*YES)
       1800 - OPNQRYF FILE((MBRV1LP)) FORMAT(MBRV1LP2) KEYFLD((*MAPFLD/USR))
       MAPFLD((USR '%SST(W6USID  1 5)' *CHAR 5))
     Member MBRV1LP file MBRV1LP in MBRDBF opened.
       2200 - RETURN

After it was opened, I copied it to the real file MBRV1LP2 by CPYFRMQRYF.
(You don't need OVRDBF...SHARE(*YES) when you use CPYFRMQRYF.)

Of course you can make some RPG programs that refer to the virtual file
arranged by OPNQRYF (You need OVRDBF...SHARE(*YES) in this case.)

--------------------------
Oh, I noticed you said ,'but that wouldn't - compile -.' Did you mean
that you could not succeed in the CRTCLPGM?

HTH

T.I.A.

Best regards.

                       Tadashi Kakefuda