  • Subject: RE: Character to Numeric
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 15:34:51 -0500

Brad wrote:
>> Well, personally, I think it's only common courtesy to
>> offer reciprocal links.  Do you really think there
>> should only be links INTO your web site?  If someone
>> arrives at your web site and doesn't find quite what
>> they're looking for, don't you want to make things
>> easier for them?
>
>Where's your web site?

Well, people don't come to my own personal web page
looking for AS/400 or RPG information.  It doesn't have
any!  Which is why I don't advertise it here.  And yes,
I do offer a list of those web pages that link to mine.
(Every now and then, I browse my logs looking for new
URLs from the HTTP_REFERER values.)

Face it, using the search tools is never easy.  And very
often, the first few pages you look at can get you close
to what you want, but not quite.  If you can offer some
list of related pages, perhaps the surfer doesn't have
to go back to the search results.  It's the kind of
little thing that can improve peoples opinion of the
value of your page.

If web page maintenance is an issue, then offer a CGI
interface to allow people to automatically add links to
your list.  Slashdot has that kind of feature.  If it can
be programmed in Perl, then why not RPG?

>I have no problem if people email me with a problem.  If I can't help, I
>simply refer them to midrange.com or deja.com.  I also offer links on my
>page that search the as/400 NG and midrange-l archives.  Should be easy
>enough for most.
>
>Why don't you tell IBM the same thing?  I don't see any links on their
site
>except other IBM sites.  Either that or they're hard to find or it costs
>do so.

Well, if it were up to me, I'd certainly like to see
links to related 3rd party web sites on our corporate
pages!

>Sorry if I sound harsh.  I'm really frustrated with some software right
now.
>(not ours.)  :)

And hopefully not ours either!  ;-)

Cheers!  Hans