Sure, here'd be an example:  There is a header file, say the Customer
Header file.  There's Detail Files hung from it, say... A/R Credit
History, Sales History, Shipping and Branch Addresses, and finally, a
Yearly Sales Summary.  Lets suppose every single record has a key field
with the Customer Number as it's first key field.

Now, lets say you need to print a report with data from all of the
records.  If you make the Customer Header file your IP file and all of the
rest of the files IS (list in the order you need to process them), then
you realize you can set on L1 with a change in the Customer Number.
Ordinarily though the cycle will process each file from beginning to end,
then go to the next file which is of no use in this scenario.

If, however, you add MR in the column after the L1 the files will be
processed in different order.  In effect, MR forces the files to line up,
left to right, as individual queues at the processor.  The processor scans
the head of the queues and takes the next higher record, with ties going
to the queue at the left.  The files will be processed as a group, all of
each customer number together.   That means you can rip down through files
and make updates and fixes in really fast time.  Or, you can create new
files with data in new order very fast.

It also means the customers are listed in customer number order, not
alphabetically.  Some see that as a disadvantage.

My feeling is that features like the cycle, L1, and MR were major advances
when introduced but today's machines allow so much more flexibility that
learning to use MR is really just an exercise in learning the past.

Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth

Colin Williams <colin.williams@technocrats.co.uk>