  • Subject: Partner in Develoment Program (was: AS/400 At Home)
  • From: "David Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:41:44 -0500

The lease program you refer to is not all it's cracked up to be.

The 1% lease deal sounds good, but if you are not an existing business with
a D&B, bank and trade references, etc, ICC (IBM Credit Corp) requires _only_
100% down.  Yes, folks you read that correctly ONE HUNDRED PERCENT DOWN.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but 100 percent down SOUNDS LIKE A PURCHASE TO ME!

Hmmmm.... let's think about that a minute.  I pull $20K out of my pocket and
give it to ICC.  They turn around and lend it back to me at 1% per month for
24 months.  At the end of 24 months, I get my $20K back and I give them the
AS400 back.  So, that 24 months cost me $4800, plus the lost interest on the
$20K I just tied up for 2 years.  At 5%, that's $2K.

>From a business perspective, I can understand.  Without a track record and
good credit, a lease gets denied.  BUT, this is supposed to be program where
IBM is helping to enhance the portfolio of available software applications.
Since the average $20K machine is maybe $10K hardware (incremental cost... 2
or 3K?) and $10K software (incremental cost.... zero)  ICC isn't really
sticking their necks out much, are they?

I tried doing this and got so frustrated by the process, I put the machine
on a credit card (gulp... don't tell my wife).