  • Subject: Re: AS/400 At Home
  • From: "David Shea" <dshea@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:53:44 -0500

Alright, already.  Guilty as charged, maybe.  But give me a break.  I
usually have one of two SIGS - one for the time sharing thing and one for
some software I developed.  The time sharing thing was the default until my
laptop finally croaked and I had to reinstall everything.  I forgot to set
up the default sig again...  But now it's back in (see below).

But seriously... I spent $20K on a box that's sitting there doing nothing
most of the time, that many of you out there might have fun playing with
(and in fact some of you are).   That 170 runs circles around the old E45 I
ran once... and even IT supported 100 simultaneous users.  I spent a little
more money and a boatload of time getting the thing available on the web,
including all the crazy IP ports that Client Access Express uses for file
and print serving, ops navigator, IFS mappings, etc.  It's not like I'm
getting rich off this thing.  So for $30 a month, people can get in and play
instead of shelling out $20,000.00.  So, if you want to develop some idea
you have so that maybe someday you can quit your day job , you can do it for
a few bucks instead of $20K.  Develop your stuff, save it to a save file,
FTP it to yourself and distribute it via email ("ECommerce" is non-taxable
8-) ).  If you've got an idea, go for it.  What other business out there
requires almost no investment (you've already got your PC and your internet
connection) and requires no inventory (you don't even need to buy tapes any
more)?  All I'd ask is a crack at the IPO when you go public.  And this is
not meant to be an advertisement, it's my opinion and a bit of a soap box
speech.  So I apologize if this is ruffling any feathers out there.

In the future I'll be sure to clearly identify myself, in the body of the
message and in the sig.

PS - so here's my usual SIG back from the dead:
Time share a current model AS/400 over the internet!
Individual developers, company development and testing, or full outsourcing.
Get access to RPG, Cobol, C, SQL, Java and more for a low monthly fee.
http://www.timeshare400.com
mailto:timeshare400@arctools.com