  • Subject: Re: Redbook SG24-5402 and Problem with DLFM.
  • From: Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 15:40:54 -0500

 >> first of all thank you and your ITSO-Team very much for the new
 >> Redbook "Who knew you could do that with RPG IV ?"
 >> Our first impression ist   "G r e a t" ...

Glad to hear it

 >> But, we are missing an Index at the end of the book.

This I don't understand - have you downloaded the version that went on-line on
the 7th of this month?  I have that one which I downloaded from the regular
Redbooks site and it includes 4 pages of index.

 >> We are missing also program-examples for using the new database UDB types
with embedded SQL.

Well we had to stop somewhere.  The residency ran for six weeks and most of us
worked in our own time for weeks afterwards to get this much done.  We hope that
IBM will sponsor another book this year but it is up to users like yourself to
ask for that in your official reviews of the book.

Please remember I don't work for IBM - I have very little influence over whether
there is a "part-2" this year.  You and the other readers of this forum will
have to convince them.  It took me four years to convince them this one was
needed and I'm tired!

 >> In the referenced SQL-books (SC41-4611 and SC-41 4612) there are only
 >> examples in C(!!!!!!!! ?????) and Cobol (!!!!!!!!). We think, thats
 >> not very helpfull in our RPG-World.

I agree completely - that's why we tried to include as much in the way of
sockets, IFS, etc. as we could but we simply ran out of time.  I would love it
if IBM would hire me (or someone) to rewrite a lot of the examples in the manual
but not enough people are complaining.  Send in the reader reply forms for every
book that has no RPG samples and complain!!  As I say I've been doing it for
years but until a few more users complain nothing will happen.