  • Subject: Re: RPG: add file with same name from different AS/400 into pgm
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 18:43:03 -0800

I would create a CL front end, and check for the availability of the
files before I even ran the RPG.  Then I would do over rides dependent
on what files where there. In your RPG you would call them something
like Order1 and Order2, and over ride both of them (you only need to
over ride one, but I don't' think you want to change the file name on
your
system just to match the cleaner name in your RPG).

I'm not sure how to check for the availability of a DDM file, but if
things
are nice, it would fail on the OVRDBF.  Then do a MONMSG.  Something
like:

OVRDBF Order1 OrderFile

OVRDBF Order2 OrderDDM
MONMSG(CPF0000) DO
  CHGVAR DDMEmpty 'Y'
  OVRDBF Order2 OrderEmpty
END

Then call your program passing the DDMEmpty parameter
(which is a 'Y' if it couldn't find the DDM file).

Where OrderEmtpy is just a copy of your ORDER file with no
records.

Now, in your RPG program, you open both:

FOrder1    UF   E            K      Rename(OrderPF:OrderPF1)
FOrder2    UF   E            K      Rename(OrderPF:OrderPF2)

Then you can use the order on your local DASD as OrderPF1 and
the other file (either the DDM on a remote system, or a local black
file) as OrderPF2.  You would need to implement program logic to
look at the DDMEmpty parameter to see whether to use OrderPF2
or not.

Regards,

Jim Langston