  • Subject: RE: CL arithmetic -- conclusion
  • From: Scott Mildenberger <Smildenber@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 08:07:58 -0700

Actually, I have eliminated CL almost completely for new coding.  I am using
the C function 'system' to make any command calls that I need to make from
within my RPG program.  I have put the call into a function in a service
program and it returns the 7 character message id if there was an error on
the command.  So I can do something like:

c                       eval    error_msg = syscall('addlible newlib')
c                       if      error_msg <> *blanks
c       error_msg       dsply
c                       endif

I do believe it makes it much better to have the system calls within the
RPG.  That way if there is a OVRQRYF or something needed prior to opening a
file then it is right there in the code instead of having to rely on a
comment that may or may not be there.  Another benefit I have found is that
the function 'system' runs in the same activation group as the RPG that
calls it so I don't have to spend as much time making sure my overrides are
scoped properly.

Scott Mildenberger