  • Subject: RE: doing date arithmetic in CL(and how close is good enough)
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 11:10:29 -0800

Agreed.  I did say "pretty darned good."  Nearly 4000 years of accuracy is
nothing to sneeze at.  Whole calendar mess is a discrete approximation of
continuous stuff.  Tidal friction and some other things I can't remember or
never learned about make the relationship between year and day length a
moving target.

BTW, Newtonian mechanics works real well for sizes above the quantum level
and velocities that aren't too close to the speed of light.  The real scary
thing is that Ptolemaic astronomy works pretty well for predicting the
positions of stars and planets if you keep making little changes in the
epicycles and so forth.