     Thanks a lot Scott.

Subject: Re: Module parameters
Author:  "Scott Klement" <infosys@klements.com> at ARO-INTERNET
Date:    12/29/1999 4:54 PM

Vini.Kolathur@msasaro.com (Vini Kolathur) wrote:
>      Hi,
>
>      Can somebody help me in finding the parameters for modules like
>      'getservbyname' which come with IBM supplied service programs.
>      Are these documented somewhere?
>
>      Thanks & Rgds,
>      Vini

Yes, these are documented in the manual called "UNIX-Type APIs" which
should be in your softcopy library.

You can also find it on the web at:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr/BOOKS/QBJAM400/CCONTENTS

The documentation only explains the parameters in C language syntax,
so you'll have to convert it to RPG.

For example, it says:

struct servent *getservbyname(char *service_name, char *protocol_name)

struct servent {
  char  *s_name;
  char  **s_aliases;
  int   s_port;
  char  *s_proto;
};

Which is the C definition, in RPG you'd do something like:

D getservnam      PR              *   ExtProc('getservbyname')
D   serv_name                   64A
D   proto_name                  64A

D p_servent       S               *
D servent         DS                  BASED(p_servent)
D   s_name                        *
D   s_aliases                     *
D   s_port                      10I 0
D   s_proto                       *
D s_alias1        S               *   BASED(s_aliases)

And here's an example of how to use that definition:

D Serv            S             64A
D Proto           S             64A

C* if you're running a newer version of OS/400, you can
C* put OPTIONS(*STRING) on each parm for the getservnam
C* prototype definition, and omit the x'00' below...
C*
c                   eval      Serv = 'telnet' + x'00'
c                   eval      Proto = 'tcp' + x'00'
C                   eval      p_servent = getservnam(serv:proto)

C* show either an error, or the
C* port number for the telnet service
c                   if        p_servent = *NULL
c                   eval      Msg = 'No service found!'
c                   dsply                   Msg              50
c                   else
c                   dsply                   s_port
c                   endif

c                   eval      *inlr = *on

Good luck...