  • Subject: Re: No "u" or "ur" PLEASE! (was CPYTOPCD)
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 01:47:08 -0800

Dan,

About 4 years ago I first got started on this whole "internet" thing and, to
this
day, still have a hard time trying to figure out some of the shorthand.  I
responded
to a post that ending with YMMV and stuck my foot in my mouth by asking, what
does
that mean? Your Move M... V...? You Make Me Vomit? I was informed that it meant:
Your Mileage My Vary.  Webster (how coincidentally ironic) needs to create a new
dictionary!

As I understand it's a leftover from the "old" days of 300 to 1200 baud
connections.  When characters meant time.

That was until a few month's ago when a friend of the family visited from Japan
and
told me about their cost to receive email.  Characters count.  He pays, to get
his
email, about what you or I would pay for a long distance phone call. Per
minute. On
top of his phone charges. Per minute.

So I've learned that posting in cyber shorthand is a courtesy when it's
broadcast to
unknown members of a list.

In keeping with IBM's naming conventions, I'm going to drop the vowels <g>

Jms W Klgr