  • Subject: Re: 98% ASP Utilisation ???
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 12:50:57 -0800

I had the same situation once when some file grew with blank records until
all the DASD was used and the machine shut down (this started on a friday
night, no one came in til Monday, and at that point it had been down for 12
hours or so).  Normally, though, I understand the AS/400 shuts down when
it reaches some threshold (look at the system value for threshhold).

Another thing you must be aware of is that SNADS will not work if your
DASD usage is above the threshold set in the system value, even though the
AS/400 won't shut down to quite a bit longer.  Make sure you check the
job logs and history for any SNADS jobs you may run.  SNDNETF just
does nothing but produces an error, which you may not be looking for.

The reason you had to IPL, I am sure, was to delete any temporary work
files the AS/400 had to clear up enough space to do anything.  I recall the
AS/400 shutting down 4 times or so as I tried to copy the good records from
the file to a temporary file so I could delete the file and blank records.  I
kept
copying files to tape then deleting the files, hoping the tape backup I had just
made was good, and trying again.  It just took forever to do anything with the
system, it was slow.  I guess if I had done some more research on how much
DASD I needed to clear to copy the file without the AS/400 shutting down I
wouldn't have had it keep crashing on me (with a abnormal end IPL after each
crash).

I really don't think you can get away for having to IPL once the machine gets
into
this state, it just doesn't have enough DASD to do anything, remembering that
DASD
is also used as memory.

It is a horrible situation to get into.  At least it is survivable though.

Regards,

Jim Langston