  • Subject: Re: Expensive op codes
  • From: Bob Larkin <blarkin@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 03:44:34 -0500

Knowledge is power, and in the batch world, it can make a big difference.
Point in case. Customer had a nightly billing process that ran 11+ hours! With a
planned merger and increasing sales, the future looked bleak for this job. A few
minutes with a job trace revealed the problem. An RPG program was calling a
program for determining taxes. The program was from a vendor that specializes in
determining taxes based on geographical position. The package was available on
many platforms, and had been written in COBOL.

A gotcha of COBOL is that when the Rn Unit (program) ends, it behaves like an
RPG
program ending with LR on. Every time the taxation program was called the
program
had to perform all initialization again. since the source code was not
available,
we could not change how the program's run Unit ended. Reaching into the
bag-o-tricks, I pulled out a little tidbit. If a COBOL program is running below
another COBOL program, it will act like an RPG program returning with LR off.
Even if there is an RPG program between them in the stack.

A simple COBOL program that did nothing but call the initial program of the
billing process was created. FTPed the saved object to the system, and installed
it. the next morning, I was called into the bosses office. the operator's
reported that there was a problem with the billing, and they did not think it
had
ran. Their reasoning was that the job only ran for 17 MINUTES. We checked the
run, and it was flawless! We had shaved over 10 1/2 HOURS off of the nightly
run.
The customer could increase his billings ten-fold, and be done in less than
three
hours.

All with a little knowledge!

Bob