  • Subject: RE: [Re: RPGILE V4.3 Gotcha]
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:28:37 -0400

Jim,
With the greatest of respect, the very next line in the manual (V3R7) is not
some examples, it is:
"See Chapter 21, "Expressions" for general information on expressions.  See
"Precision Rules for Numeric Operations" in topic 4.2.7 for information on
precision rules for numeric expressions.  This is especially important if
the expression contains any divide operations, or if the EVAL uses any of
the operation extenders."

Omitting this from your post makes it look like IBM is trying to hide
something, when in fact it is quite clear that they are pointing out a
difference between EVAL and the fixed form arithmetic operations.

I actually agree that the arithmetic rules for EVAL should be intuitive
enough that one shouldn't need to read up on it, but I am just too darned
nosey to go using something new without reading up on it first.  I just
_have_ to see how it works!  <grin>

Let me re-iterate that I haven't seen _any_ truncation messages in my
compile listings (which I faithfully check,) and I use numbers in the
hundreds of millions.  I honestly think that the danger is more theoretical
than actual, but there is that manual reference to keep in mind...

Buck Calabro
Aptis; Albany, NY