  • Subject: Re: LVLCHK *NO
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Oct 1999 06:59:34 -0700

Okay, so the gist of this is, it would take too much time and processor power
to dynamically link the files, and you think we want the extra check at run
time.

The main advantage to dynamic linking is being able to change the underlying
database structure without having to recompile the program if no logic changes
have taken place, so it is easier to maintain our databases.

The main advantage to static linking is the system can open the programs faster,
and the program won't run if it fails the level check.  Although I think that
the
way
RPG shotguns memory locations for files may come into play also.

Has anyone ever did a test on the added time and processor needed to be able
to link database files dynamically on the AS/400?

Regards,

Jim Langston