I think it's an interesting question, regardless of your belief system.

Seems like RPG Classic programs got the file layout a compile time because
all fields had to be defined at compile time so they could get memory
locations.  Would it be a big deal, now that RPG has more flexible memory
management, to make it pick up the file layout dynamically?  I can see some
unpleasant ramifications for externally defined data structures with
overlays, but I remember fondly the ability to add fields to files in d-Base
and Clipper.