  • Subject: Re: rpg400-l-digest V1 #239
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 02:30:30 -0700

Pete,

I agree, "today" noone is writing 150 page programs. One writes 15 10 page
programs to
do the same thing.

Wait a minute .... I write 15 10 page programs that use service programs and
all of the
related /COPY interfaces, and if I made them into a single "function" listing
.... I
get 250 pages! <g>

Even under the OPM model I never wrote a program that listed over 50 pages, but
with a
gazillion "shop standard" /COPY members it COMPILED into 150 pages of paper.

We are in agreement: it's the maintenance, not the development that burns the
bucks.
Well, as long a few bucks are spent on the rare commodity of "forethought". <g>

My point was maintain.  The UPDAT command with externally defined files, and
-no-
output specs makes me burn the clock to hunt down exactly what is being
UPDAT'd.  And
guess what, I have to study every module to make user -they- aren't doing some
closet
file changes =:-o Talk about "hidden" functions! Who knows?

IMHO, there is no better place in the world than the keeper of "the law of the
land".
You can make up what ever you want!

I'm all for modular development and code reuse.  Now sell me on why I should
write
twice as much code then I have in the past in order to reuse it in all the same
places
that I already have working. +8-)

Now, remember it's already working, be gentle, but why should I spend another
500k
changing it?  Shouldn't I spent it on something it doesn't already do?

Regards,
James W. Kilgore
qappdsn@ibm.net

P.S. Sort of sounds like the BIF discussion doesn't it?