  • Subject: Re: RPG IV program - comments requested
  • From: "Peter Dow" <pcdow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:09:16 -0700

I'm glad you don't mind my belaboring this point. The tendency to do so
drives my friends (and wife) nuts.

> Not quite the same. You are making the assumption that the PI is correct.
The
> compiler wants to validate it and it validates it against the PR.

Ah, but then it's making the assumption that the PR is correct. If I got the
wrong /COPY...

> Sorry, they don't do parameter checking at run time, no more then they did
with
> dynamic calls in RPG III.

Oh well.  Have they left what little they had in there? Or do they now
assume that the compiler has taken care of it?

> Have you just been using just CRTBNDxxx or have you also used CRTxxxMOD
and
> CRTPGM (which is basically what CRTBNDxxx does)? The reason I ask is that
a lot
> of the binding issues become clearer when you do it as two steps.

I've done both. Just for grins I modified one program that was used to
format ICD9 codes (medical diagnostic codes) and turned it into a function,
with call to one of those CEE API's to get one of the parameter lengths. I
also use a binding directory, but I have yet to do a service program.

> Where I come from, this would not be called arguing and you are right,
there is
> still room for error. You are lucky to have come accross few problems with
> parameter lists. There was a thread here a while ago where a program ( in
a group
> of programs ), that had been converted from RPG III to RPG IV, suddenly
stopped
> working with an error on an internal pointer. Cause was a mis-match on a
> parameter list in a earlier call. The bug had stayed hidden for a few
years.
> Whereas mistmached number of paramters or wrong data types may become
fair;y
> obvious, see what happens when the last field of the parameter list is
defined as
> 50 in the calling program and 60 in the called program.

You're right, I've been lucky. The problem you mention is similar to the
problem of submitting a call to a program with a string constant greater
than 32 characters, something I've noticed as a topic more than once.

david@midrange.com