  • Subject: RE: RPG 400 code on the NET
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 09:34:54 -0400

Frank,

>What do you expect to see submitted?

Utility type stuff - Things like "Reorg all PF's in a given library" or

>How I  include in the code the 'use at your own risk stuff'.
>Is there a guideline/cookbook for how to present it.

Here's IBM's version:
      * LICENSE AND DISCLAIMER
      * ----------------------
      * This material contains IBM copyrighted sample programming
      * source code.  IBM grants you a nonexclusive license to use,
      * execute, display, reproduce, distribute and prepare derivative
      * works of this sample code.  The sample code has not been
      * thoroughly tested under all conditions.  IBM, therefore, does
      * not warrant or guarantee its reliability, serviceability, or
      * function.  All sample code contained herein is provided to you
      * "AS IS." ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT
      * NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILLITY AND
      * FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED.

Then there's the GNU public license:
http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html

>How should I submit the code. source only, AS400
>save libraries, what are the install instructions etc.

I would say Source code with embedded installation instructions

>How do I expose my dirty linen (coding techniques) in
>public without making a laughing stock of myself.

I've been doing this for a while, and have received only constructive
comments that have made me a better programmer!

>How do you control changes to the code or better yet get an
>internet-wide collaboration going to really develop something
>and then get everyone to give their work away for free.

Hm.  Set up a web site a la Linux or GNU?  Collaborate with a few 'net
friends via email?  Post the code to this list and solicit comments?  Darned
good question!

Tim Truax just posted a question that might work pretty well for a "list
collaboration" test. Let's give it a whirl and see if it can work!

Buck

Buck Calabro
Aptis, Albany, NY
mailto:Buck.Calabro@aptissoftware.com