  • Subject: RE: RE: RE: Duplicate file format
  • From: "Kahn, David [JNJFR]" <DKahn1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 17:28:49 +0200

Alan,

In that case another possibility is to use file overrides at compile time
and run time. In your program you still define bigfile and weefile. Then you
issue an OVRDBF BIGFILE QADSPUPB and OVRDBF WEEFILE QADSPUPB. The problem
with doing this is that you either need to compile interactively or write a
CL wrapper to execute in batch and create the program.

In your run time environment you might as well use the names bigfile and
weefile (or more sensible ones) as the actual output file names in QTEMP
thereby avoiding run time overrides. If you're planning to put both files in
QTEMP they'll need different names from each other anyway. And if you call
one of them QADSPUPB you'll need a run time override for that to prevent the
system trying to open the memberless one in QSYS.

Compared with the effort of having a compile time override the one-time
overhead of creating 2 extra files is negligible. These only need to exist
for compile purposes and can be empty. At run time you can still put your
files into QTEMP as you plan.

Dave Kahn
Johnson & Johnson International (Ethicon) France
Phone : +33 1 55 00 3180
Email :  dkahn1@jnjfr.jnj.com (work)
           dkahn@cix.co.uk      (home)