  • Subject: Re: Key List in 'D" spec
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 08:51:23 -0700

Oh, well, yeah, that I knew. 8-)

And I think he's right, it should be in the D specs.  One of the things I live
about RPGIV is being able to declare the S type of the D spec
for all my variables.  Now I don't have to search all over the code to find out
how a variable is declared, I know where it is.  And there
are no longer problems with declaring a variable twice.

When I first started to program I hated having to declare variables (ala Cobol,
Pascal, etc..) and thought it was a waste of time.  Until the
first time I got so confused as to how a variable was defined.  I then started
declaring my variables in Basic, where it wasn't required at
all.

I think they did a good thing by allowing the use of the D spec to declare
variables, and, yes, I think that all types of declarations should
go there, such as KLIST.  I mean, what would be so hard to use a DS structure
as, say, a KL structure for keys?

But then, are KLISTs even *really* required?  Why can't we just use a named DS
structure?  Or are they saved differently in memory somehow?
yes, I know we can't use them because it won't work, my question is, why don't
'they' get it to work?

Regards,

Jim Langston