  • Subject: Re: New Opcodes - %SETCELL
  • From: John P Carr <jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:16:56 -0400

>> Does anyone know why the CODEPAGE is that number?
>> No, and you won't see aaaaaaannnnnyyyyyy
>> documentation anywhere of what the valid numbers
>> are, or why they are those numbers??  Its a
>> "Trust me they work,  don't miss key them"

What manual did you find the following in Scott??

> If you look at a binary representation of this parameter, as its
> stored in memory, you'll see that each time you add another one of
> the O_xxx flags, you're turning on a bit.
> i.e.,               100000000000000000000000 (8388608 in binary)

Here's what's in the  FCNTL member in the H source file in QSYSINC

#define O_CODEPAGE   040000000  /* code page flag           */
#define O_TEXTDATA  0100000000  /* text data flag                */

How'd you make the magic leap of knowing the above is
8388608 ?    BTW,  are the above Octal by chance ?   Why
yes they are !!  Now it's very intuitive to everyone to convert
from Octal to Dec to make it work in RPG.

<< Makes perfect sense to me... >>   Feel lucky.

Having everyone say  "look into QSYSINC,  The layouts are in there"
really help RPG programmers.

And yes I knew what they meant.   Of course I did alot of research.

BTW This timely question was just asked yesterday by Uwe Koch

>Hi all,
> i want to use the API's in QSYSINC but I don't have much
> information to go on. I'm missing an Example in RPG or ILERPG

He is obviously just beginning his search for understanding.
His situation is exactly what I was talking about.

"I don't have much information to go on"

I think that said it all.

Jon,  is the new redbook going to make sense of the bit
streams of the Unix API's and explain them?   Maybe explain
why some API manuals still say to use 9 byte Binary, some
say 10 bytes integer,  some say to use Constants ?

When I said I wanted some IFS support in RPG
and have the language do the heavy work,
I wasn't asking for myself,   I was asking for the
Uwe's  who may not realize that they might have
to convert the QSYSINC values from Octal to Dec.

RPG used to be for people who wanted to write
"Business" solutions,  Not for computer science
graduates who converted Octal to Dec in their
heads.   Yes, you can write your own Debugger
in RPG (Right Larry, can you say STRISDB)
But most of us get requests to balance inventory.

Me?  I have my own AS/400 at home,
doesn't everyone?
That's it.

Respectfully