Once again, I think it comes down to money reasons.

Developers dont want to write their own stuff on their employers
machines, and cant afford to purchase an as/400 to use at home.

Fair enough, I could rent time on an as/400, as previously suggested,
but how can I then give the code away for free if I have paid to develop
it.

Give me an affordable as/400 (I've been quoted £3,800=$5900 for a 170)
or an RPG compiler on a PC and i'll do, but otherwise I just can't
afford it