  • Subject: Re: Named Indicators...
  • From: Bob Spinks <rspinks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 1999 09:16:51 -0400

>> And I, just as personally, hate to see the ink* indicators.  Our shop
>> standard is that *in01-*in24 are reserved for function keys and if you
see
>> one you know what it means. Boy do I dislike seeing *inkj and wondering
what
>> was pressed (<counting on fingers> a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j - 10 - he pressed
F10.
>> No, wait.  'i' does not count. Start over a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h,j  - 9 - he
pressed
>> F9.  Wow.  Sure am glad the programmer did not just set *in09 on when
the
>> user pressed F9.  That would be way hard.

>But the problem with this is it only works if you have all home grown
>software, and followed the standard from day one.  if you ever purchase
some
>software and it uses *in10 for some type of chain indicatator, then you
have
>to double check to make sure it really is F10 (which it isn't).  and as
for
>having to look things up, you never look up an opcode becase you just
>happened to forget something like which indicatator it would turn on if
>someone unusual happens.  *INKC is ALWAYS F3.  unless you do something
>really unusual and try to make it hard on future modifications.

I, too, have been a proponent of the infds(pos 369) method of determining
which key the user pressed, but am re-thinking due to the previous posts.
I think that I might start using *INK_ for the function keys and use
infds(aid or status) to determine enter/rollup/etc.

Hans, if you're listening, what's your take on the *INK_ route for function
keys in regards to support and resources required  and would
you recommend the aid or the status route for enter/print/help/etc.?

Bob Spinks