  • Subject: Re:Named Indicators...
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 18 Aug 1999 00:51:44 -0500

Marc,

Your solution is basing F3 on indicator 03, and F5 on indicator
05.  The original poster was looking for a way to base on KC and
KE, instead of 03 and 05.

Now -- to EVERYONE on the list:

Personally (and this is my opinion, many people have already told
me I was nuts)  I prefer to see *INKC or *INKE used instead of
*IN03/*IN05, and I also prefer to see *INKC over a "named indicator".

When I'm trying to figure out someone's code and I see this line:
C                   if        *IN03 = *On

I now have to search the source code to see what *IN03 is.   Since
its actually defined in the DDS, I won't find it.   I'll then search
the DDS, and I'll find that *IN03 is actually F3.

When I see:
C                   if        F3 = *On

I, again, now have to stop my reading of the source, search to see
what F3 is.  Find out that its based on *IN03 in the D-specs.
Now I have to search for BOTH F3 and *IN03 throughout the RPG code
to find out that its not defined.   Now I have to search all external
descriptions for F3, plus I have to search the DDS for 03.  Finally
I determine what it is.

When I see the line:
C                   if        *INKC = *On

I now know EXACTLY that this line does without having to search the
code at all.

People use "named indicators" because they don't think that *IN03
is "self-explanatory".   However, *INKC  *IS* self-explanatory, and
actually is MUCH MORE SO than a named indicator.

Sure, I can usually assume that "F3" is the same as *INKC.  But, I
know that as soon as I make that assumption, this will be the one
time that its not.

Sure, it doesn't take me more than a few seconds to determine what
a given indicator or named indicator does.   BUT, if I'm reading a
8000 line program, and I have to stop 20 different times to try to
figure out what a named indicator is, I'll get irritated.

Thats my 2 cents.

Scott Klement
Information Systems Manager
Klement's Sausage Co, Inc.