  • Subject: RE: RPG IV and CF-spec "keep it IBM"
  • From: boldt@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:06:33 -0400

Hi John!  Well, I'll be quite happy when this discussion peters
out and we can all get back to more productive pursuits.  But I
would like to address a few points, if you don't mind.

John Carr wrote:
>We will see CF's.   It seems like a done deal.  So the discussion is really
>just academic.
>Will I use it?   Ya,  I originally wanted it just for the existing EVAL's,
>DOU, IF's etc.
>I didn't think it was worth the effort to have two version OF EVERY OPCODE
>WE HAVE.
>Will the shop I work in use it?   Weeeeellllll   I'm just a consultant and
>they are very touchy
>about changing their standards(VBFG>.

Originally, I did intend to support as many opcodes as possible
in the CF-Spec.  But one of my internal reviewers, as well as
feedback here, convinced me that that wasn't necessary, and was
probably even a bad idea.  As a result, we drastically cut down
the list of supported opcodes and added more new built-in functions.
Now, even opcode MOVE isn't part of the design!  But for practically
all the things not supported, there are clear and preferable
alternatives involving expressions or built-in functions.

As I mentioned in other notes, the CF-Spec is intended primarily
for new code.  It won't make maintenance of existing code any
easier, unless you take the plunge and convert everything to the
new spec type.  And unless you're already fully taking advantage
of V4R2 features, the job of converting won't necessarily be an
easy one.

This is simply a chance to make a break from the past and start
coding using a more modern RPG style.

Regarding getting shop standards changed, considering how anxious
people seem to be here, that may not be as difficult as you might
think!  (But maybe I'm being overly optimistic.)

>My last questions are;
>Now That we have CF's
>Will other programmers finially like us and treat us like "Real"
>programmers" ?
>Can I hold my head up high for the first time and say,    "I'm an RPG
>programmer"
>Will it be taught in college Computer courses right along with Java and C ?

Probably not.

> Will it sell   "Tons" more AS/400's ??

We can only hope, but probably not.

>And the Big question........... now that we have CF's
>Can we port our code to Linux ?????

Well, our compiler code has already been ported from the 370 to
OS/2, OS/400, and even Widows.  I'm sure another port wouldn't
be too difficult.  We'd just have to wait on all those other
W-Code, CODE, and VisualAge components to make it all work,
though.

Personally, I'd love to see more of a demand for moving our
products to Linux.

>(Hey can we archive this thread and bring it back in 2005 and see how it
>played out??)
>
>Well it was fun,    Hey,  These are just thoughts folks   don't take them
>serious.
>
>Peace

Well, life's supposed to be fun, isn't it?  And I, for one,
have had fun coding the new stuff, and I think RPG programmers
will have fun using it!

Cheers!  Hans

Hans Boldt, ILE RPG Development, IBM Toronto Lab, boldt@ca.ibm.com