  • Subject: Re: imbedded CL in RPG
  • From: "R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr." <rbruceh@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 05 Aug 1999 08:48:12 -0400

Jon.Paris@halinfo.it wrote:

> I guess it's always possible that it will change in the future, but the main
> reason that you don't see Code fully supporting SQL is the same reason that
>you
> often see the SQL pre-processor fall behind in terms of the level of RPG IV it
> supports.  The pre-processor is not produced by the Code or RPG teams but
>rather
> by the SQL group in Rochester who have not ported it to the PC.  I suspect
>this
> is probably in part due to it being written in PL/MI and therefore not an easy
> port.  The pre-proc mostly just identifies the variables in the program and
>then
> processes the embedded SQL statements.

And yet, they took the time and effort to change the OS code to C++ from
PL/MI. But not the DB2 code, which they SHOULD have changed so they
could MERGE it with the DB2 Common Server model that they had out
between V2R3 and V3R1. That way, we would have all of the features
(large objects, user defined data types and user defined functions, etc)
that have been in DB2 CS and now DB2 UDB for years and not have had to
wait through promise after promise to deliver, that has forced clients
off the 400 platform for any REAL DB support.

More turf, less compatibility. If Lou really "doesn't care where you
sit", then why has this been allowed to happen? The DB2 moniker is a
joke on the AS/400. It is NOT the DB2 that I have come to know and love
and support.