  • Subject: RE: RPG SQL precompiler
  • From: Buck Calabro <mcalabro@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:14:17 -0400

I have issues with the precompiler not handling the null indicator very
well.
1. It won't let me use LIKE for the null indicator array map:
     D NULL            s              5i 0

     D* Null map for retrieved variables - fails because of LIKE
     DRtnNullMap       ds                  occurs(10)
     D NullMap                             dim(9) like(NULL)

     C/EXEC SQL
     C+ FETCH NEXT FROM DYNFIL FOR 10 ROWS
     C+       INTO :RtnData :RtnNullMap
     C/END-EXEC

    This fails with SQL0080 Position 30 Indicator variable RTNNULLMAP not
SMALLINT type

2. It won't let me use a set of named fields instead of an
    array for the null indicator map:
     D* Null map for retrieved variables - fails because it is not an array
     DRtnNullInd       ds                  occurs(10)
     D TblLibNullI                    5i 0
     D TblNameNullI                   5i 0
     D TblTypeNullI                   5i 0
     D TblTextNullI                   5i 0
     D ColNameNullI                   5i 0
     D ColTypeNullI                   5i 0
     D ColLenNullI                    5i 0
     D ColScaleNullI                  5i 0
     D ColTextNullI                   5i 0

    This fails withSQL5011 Host structure array RTNNULLIND not defined or
not usable, despite the fact that the memory layout is the same as the
array.  This either forces me into referring to the ordinal number of the
columns as in NullMap(9) or defining another data structure that I can move
the array into:

     DRtnNullNamed     ds
     D TblLibNull                          like(NULL)
     D TblNameNull                         like(NULL)
     D TblTypeNull                         like(NULL)
     D TblTextNull                         like(NULL)
     D ColNameNull                         like(NULL)
     D ColTypeNull                         like(NULL)
     D ColLenNull                          like(NULL)
     D ColScaleNull                        like(NULL)
     D ColTextNull                         like(NULL)

     C     1             Do        SQLER3        OccurNum          5 0
     C     OccurNum      Occur     RtnData
     C     OccurNum      Occur     RtnNullRaw

      * Deal with the nulls
     C                   Move      RtnNullRaw    RtnNullNamed

so that I can refer to ColTextNull instead of NullMap(9).

Buck Calabro
Billing Concepts Albany, NY
mailto:mcalabro@commsoft.net