I don't know if I got the whole gest of your message, but I did an audit
program once, and it was a lot of lines also, but I wrote a code generator,
that would read the dspffd *outfile and generate all the code for the
field's and text descriptions, so all I had to do was add the generated code
to file reading routines...

just an idea, tim