  • Subject: RE: Code/400
  • From: "Bob Cozzi" <cozzi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 13:37:55 -0500

On the cost of the product issue, there are millions of variables, but
fundamentally, the AS/400 market with 1 percent of the market of say,
Windows would require a higher price for exactly the same tool used under
Windows. Hence OS/400 is thousands of dollars, whereas Windows 98 is $89.

If you can sell a product to 20 to 80 million potential customers you can
spread the cost out for the market share you expect to sell. If you can only
sell to 10,000 customers, then you have to price for that.

At 10,000 is probably a high figure in the AS/400 world. Few, if any
software vendors have 10,000 customers. Some have more, but most have few
than 2,000 or so. The funny thing is, that since we all also use PCs, a lot
of AS/400 programmers expect development tools for the AS/400 to be the same
price as development tools for the PC. In fact, many of them expect those
tools to cost less.

I PC developer will gladly spend $500+ per year on themselves--regardless of
what the company spends on the in addition to that $500. AS/400 programmers
won't spend a dime of their own money on their own tools, and (I believe)
they don't have the budget authority or input to get tools put into next
years budget.  "Why buy a new TV, when they're giving away free vacuum tube
sets at work?"

Bob Cozzi

http://www.RPGIV.com