  • Subject: RE: RE: What bugs you about KLISTs in RPG IV?
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 15:09:43 -0700

Scott:

I think you missed the phrase "nut behind the wheel" in my posting.  What I
was trying to point out was that some C programmers exploit the language's
potential for terseness in a way that does nothing to improve the
application's performance.  Pointers and memory management are another area
all together.  If you use dynamic memory allocation, you have to manage
memory yourself (malloc() can return -1, right?) and it's not easy.  We now
can make memory management mistakes in RPG.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  I've written bad code in RPG,
PASCAL, C, C++, BASIC, FORTRAN, 8086 Assembler, and I'm learning to write
bad code in Java.

The real secret to writing bad code is dedication and just plain hard
work.<g>  You can do it in any language and I think I've contributed a lot
to proving it.