  • Subject: RE: Report writer in AS/400
  • From: "Jim" <jcannon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:03:35 -0700

Hmmmmmm...what is your definition of 'non-technical people'? Why dont
you take your 'solution' to your boss and see what he can do with it? I think
you oversimplify the solution.

From:                   Buck Calabro <mcalabro@commsoft.net>
To:                     "'RPG400-L@midrange.com'" <RPG400-L@midrange.com>
Date sent:              Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:19:06 -0400
Send reply to:          RPG400-L@midrange.com

Posting this question to the RPG list brings up an interesting idea - why
not let the users use RPG!  After all, RPG was originally written for
non-technical people...  Try auto-report, even!  (Chapter 12 in the RPG
user's guide)  Here's a quickie sample:

H        1
F* Sample Auto report program
F*
F* Create file DTAARA with this command:
F* DSPOBJD OBJ(*LIBL/*ALL) OBJTYPE(*DTAARA) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE)
F*         OUTFILE(QTEMP/DTAARA)
F*
F* LIMITATION: The precompiler only works with "I" specs, not
F*             externally described files.
F*
FDTAARA  IP  F     539            DISK
FQSYSPRT O   F     132     OF    LPRINTER
LQSYSPRT 066FL060OL
IDTAARA  AA  01
I                                       14  23 ODLBNML1
I                                       24  33 ODOBNM
I                                       34  41 ODOBTP
I                                       42  51 ODOBAT
I                                    P  53  580ODOBSZ
I                                       59 108 ODOBTX
OQSYSPRT H                *AUTO
O                                      'Data area list'
O        D        01      *AUTO
O                 L1      ODLBNM       'Library'
O                         ODOBNM       'Object'
O                         ODOBTP       'Type'
O                         ODOBAT       'Attr'
O                         ODOBTX       'Text'
O                         ODOBSZ A     'Size'
O                                1     'Library total'
O                                R     'Final total'

You can readily copy/paste the "I" specs from a compiler listing of a
program that externally defines this file.  To create this sample, I first
defined the file externally, compiled it interactively (it failed) then
opened up the spooled file, used the Windows Copy function to copy the "I"
specs I wanted.  I then changed the "F" spec to internal and used the
Windows Paste function to drop the "I" specs into the source.

Of course, if you'd rather buy rather than build, look at the web sites for
News/400 and Midrange Computing.  They carry advertisements and vendor link
pages:
http://www.news400.com
http://www.midrangecomputing.com

Buck Calabro