  • Subject: Re: What bugs you about KLISTs in RPG IV?
  • From: "Scott Klement" <infosys@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 17 Jun 1999 10:30:37 -0500

Carol,

No, I generally write my own software, rather than use a package.
At one time we used MAPICS, but we got rid of it quickly because
all of the options just confused people.

Our philosophy has always been to use our own custom software that
does EXACTLY what we want, and ONLY what we want.  This makes it
very easy to learn, and cuts mistakes down to a minimum.

It seems to me that if you're having that much trouble with keylists,
you'd just make them into a data structure for debugging.  Yes, it
may be a pain to do if you've got many source members to look through
but, once its done, its done -- and you can reap the benefits
afterwards.

If you run into this type of error frequently, you might also want
to consider changing the code to make it more clear to the user
whats happening!   Have it tell the user WHICH key in the keylist
isn't matching, and show the values...   makes things easier for
people in the long run.

Thats what I'd do, anyway...

I recognize that I'm not in the same position that you are in.

Scott Klement
Information Systems Manager
Klement's Sausage Co, Inc.