  • Subject: Re: What bugs you about KLISTs in RPG IV?
  • From: dhandy@xxxxxxxxxxx (Douglas Handy)
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:24:04 GMT

Jon,

>I agree that Hans is terrific, but boy you sure know how to hurt a guy!

Mea culpa.  Sorry Jon.  No offense meant -- I think you I know I have
alot of respect for your knowledge and contributions to the industry.

>If we'd had many more people involved in the design you'd still be waiting for
>it!!

I guess what I was trying to convey was that I have been *very*
pleased with how fast some things have been addressed.  A favorite
case in point of mine -- the addition of Option( *SrcStmt : *NoDebugIO
) support after people lamented in various forums about debug efforts.
And it not only didn't wait to get changed in a future release, it was
PTF'd all the way back to V3R2!!

This is defintely not my grandfather's IBM stuck in red tape and
endless committee meetings.  I don't blame you, Jon, for any of that
bureaucracy.

>I'm not going to start the whole "free-form" debate again (I have to assume
>that
>that's what you mean because there was a LOT of consultation about the whole
>RPG
>IV design and the only major disagreement was over fixed/free)

You probably remember me as one of the voices crying in the wilderness
for /free.  (And I was one of the people in the letter in News...)

>PS. I said at the time that I believed that Free-form would come one day - with
>luck that prediction (albeit about two years later than I predicted) will come
>true thanks to Hans and the rest of the RPG team.

I remember you saying that.  And being skeptical because I considered
it the probable last chance to see major enhancements to RPG.  Boy,
was I wrong!  In my 20 years of working with RPG, I've never seen the
pace of enhancements be so quick.  May it continue so.

I know where you are coming from on thinking the masses needed a
hybrid phase to transition them into free-format.  But it seems even
that wasn't enough.  People still seem overly reluctant to try it.
<Sigh>

My biggest remaining obstacle is getting a major client off of V3R2,
which severly limits how much fun I can have with the newest RPG
enhancements.  But at least I get to use subprocedures there.  If I
had to choose my favorite RPG enhancement, that would be it (which of
course needed at least hybrid free-form as a prerequisite.)

Again, I apologize Jon (and Hans, Barbara, et al) if my comment caused
offense.

Doug