  • Subject: Re: Colour in source files
  • From: "Smudski, Jeff" <JeffS@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 14:46:08 -0400

If you don't have anything to copy from, and you don't want to write a
program, it's very simple to insert the attribute character by editing
the source member directly.

Unfortunately, the AS/400's "on-the-fly" dfu (UPDDTA) doesn't work on
source files, but I would guess that most shops use some sort of 3rd
party file editor that has the capability to edit source files (and the
ability to edit in hex mode).  We primarily use EZVIEW (Easy View,  from
Help/Systems), but we also have Synon's utility YCHGDTA.

Buck Calabro had mentioned keeping 'skeleton' lines in a template source
member.  I also do this.  It's a handy way to get the character inserted
in SEU (using cmd-15, etc.) AND it makes a good cheat-sheet for
remembering the attribute codes.

Here's my 'template' member, if you want to cut-and-paste (you can't see
it below, but I have the attribute character in column 1 and hex-20 in
column 22, so I can see a sample of how each one looks.  You'll have to
edit the member or write a program to update the attibute character to
what you want):

        *************** Beginning of data ***
0001.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    20  OFF
0002.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    21  RI
0003.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    22  HI
0004.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    23  RI HI
0005.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    24  UL
0006.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    25  UL RI
0007.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    26  UL HI
0008.00                          27  ND
0009.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    28  BL
0010.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    29  BL RI
0011.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    2A  BL HI
0012.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    2B  BL RI HI
0013.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    2C  UL BL
0014.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    2D  UL BL RI
0015.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    2E  UL BL HI
0016.00                          2F  ?
0017.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    30  DU
0018.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    31  DU RI
0019.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    32  DU HI
0020.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    33  DU RI HI
0021.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    34  BU
0022.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    35  BU RI
0023.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    36  BU HI
0024.00                          37  DU ND
0025.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    38  DU BL
0026.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    39  DU BL RI
0027.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    3A  DU BL HI
0028.00  <====SAMPLEDATA====>    3B  DU BL RI HI