                From:   Greg van Paassen [mailto:gregvp@xtra.co.nz]
                Sent:   Friday, November 27, 1998 4:14 AM
                To:     RPG400-L@midrange.com
                Subject:        RE: JDE A4.3

                >I use JD Edwards, and from what I know 4.3 is not 2000
compliant....you must
                >be at least 7.3
                >Rob Moore                      Phone: (519) 661-5893

                You're right, Rob -- it isn't.   However, as far as I can
tell there's no
                problem with the programs which we can't recompile (the menu
program, a few
                PL/1 programs in Worldwriter, and a few RPG and CL
programs).  I have
                tested them with a change of system date -- only briefly, of
course, since
                there are quite a few locations connected to this AS/400.
We can't have
                all their passwords expiring all the time! The menu program
and the licence
                validation program worked fine.

                **If you know something about JDE MI, PL/1 and
no-source-code programs that
                I don't, please let me know ASAP!**

                Reviewing and fixing the RPG and CL has been my job for the
last year.
                We're using SIMDATE to simulate system dates. Although 98%
of programs
                (even the ones that need fixing) are system-date independent
(it only
                affects the "Date Updated" xxUPMJ and the batch date -- no
date comparisons
                done on those.

                Simdate seems pretty good, although the way it propagates to
batch jobs
                means we can't test Worldwriter queries -- due to sloppy
programming in a
                JDE "assembler" program that expects the *EXT message queue
to be four
                levels above it in the job.

                Overall, I'm taking a "minimum change" approach to the job
-- using
                windowing, programming conversions to Julian where date
comparisons are
                done, therefore no database changes.

                The client expects to convert away from JDE in the "near"
future -- they're
                replacing their main line-of-business system using Obsydian
(now Cool:plex
                -awful name), and are keeping an eye on the San Francisco
frameworks.

                Cheers -- Greg
Questions should *
                * be directed to the list owner / operator:
david@midrange.com          *