  • Subject: Re: RE: QUSRSPLA API
  • From: alan shore <SHOREA@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 01 Oct 1998 08:54:22 -0400

Rick - thanks for your response. Even though there is a user defined option on
the output queue, it is the user defined option (USRDFNOPT - see CHGSPLFA) on
the spool file attributes that I need to obtain data from. According to the
"OS/400 Print APIs V3R7" manual these can be obtained as part of the QUSRSPLA -
RETRIEVE SPOOLED FILE ATTRIBUTES. Unfourtunately when I print these fields from
this API, they are blank, even though the CHGSPLFA command for these spool
files show data in them.

>>> Rick <rick@createprint.com.au> 09/30 10:38 PM >>>
I believe that the USRDFNOPT parameter is attached to the output queue
and/or printer file.  You would not be able to get this parameter through
spool API's.

You could try and use DSPFD to a spool file, then read the spool file in a
program (I haven't tested to see if it is possible to list the USRDFNOPT
when DSPFD to *OUTFILE).  For output queue values, you could use WRKOUTQD
to *PRINT, then read the spool file in a program.

In fear of stating the obvious, but for completeness sake, print to a
printer file with HOLD = *YES.  Have your program do a CPYSPLF of the spool
file created to a data base file, then read.

hth.

Rick Renkema
AS/400 Development Manager
Create!print International
Phone: +61 3 9824 6888
Fax: +61 3 9824 6866
Mobile: +61 412 CPRINT (277 468)
E-mail: rick@createprint.com.au

"All great discoveries are made by mistake."

The project I am presently working on requires me to produce a summary of
reports generated, including data entered to any of the four USER DEFINED
OPTION fields (USRDFNOPT) in the spool file attributes. Using the API's
QUSCRTUS-CREATE USER SPACE
QUSLSPLF-LIST SPOOLED FILES
QUSRTVUS-RETRIEVE USER SPACE
QUSRSPLA-RETRIEVE SPOOLED FILE ATTRIBUTES
I have been able to obtain the necessary data - EXCEPT - the USER DEFINED
OPTION fields (USRDFNOPT). I have looked through the "OS/400 Print APIs
V3R7" manual, but I am unable to locate how this data is to be obtained. If
anybody knows if there is a "trick" to obtaining this data, I would be very
grateful for their help.