From: PcTech [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Gibbs
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2016 8:02 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] SPF records

On 4/4/2016 7:45 AM, Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
If I follow your thoughts correctly I can remove the first of the two
entries, (that's actually in a different area of the DNS settings so
it was easy to confuse. NearlyFreeSpeech.com's interface is
straightforward, but I'm not sure why it shows what it does)

Yes, I that's what I would recommend.

The second entry we had to add agiletecharch.com to stop the new spam
firewalls from rejecting mail. Something to do with some additional
checks they are doing.

Adding the include:agiletecharch.com is like doing a /copy of the SPF
records from agiletecharch.com. So it's essentially recursive. Not sure
what mail servers are going to do with that.

For example, midrange.com's SPF records are this:

"v=spf1 include:_spf.midrange.com ~all"

This tells receiving servers that it should consult the SPF records for
_spf.midrange.com ... anything that isn't listed on that record should be
treated with caution.

_spf.midrange.com's record is this:

"v=spf1 ip4:50.73.104.32/28 ~all"

Which means that receiving servers should accept mail from my Comcast IP
block. Any other servers should be treated with caution.

My other email domain, fallingrock.net, has the following SPF records ...

"v=spf1 include:_spf.google.com ~all"

Which means that the _spf.google.com spf records should be consulted first
(because I only send from google for work servers) and all others should be
treated with caution (softfail ... tagged, but not rejected).

david

--
David Gibbs
midrange.com

* IBM Power Systems Champion

IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding a full century (100 miles) in the American Diabetes Association's
Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes research, education, advocacy, and
awareness. You can make a tax deductible donation to my ride by visiting
http://listsig.diabetessucks.net. My goal is $6000 but any amount is
appreciated.

See where I get my donations from ... visit
http://listsig.diabetessucks.net/map for an interactive map (it's a geeky
thing).
--
This is the PC Technical Discussion for IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries) Users