Any Synology NAS users?

I have one that I use to backup my home pc's and lately I've been
experiencing problems copying files to it. I have a WIN7 Pro laptop that
backs up data (all in one main folder) from C: to to a USB external drive
(E:) and that works fine.

The problem occurs when I try to copy data from the USB (E:) to a mapped
drive which points to a shared folder on the NAS. The NAS is using the EXT4
file system and the data being copied to it is NTFS.

Some of the data is from offline RDi sessions where I have some source code
saved (for future reference). I also have backup data for my Apple device
backups (iPhone and iPad) and both of these always is where the failure
occurs.Some of the data will get copied, but then somewhere in the process
a file name that is either too long or a file that contains unicode data,
or the connection to the mapped drive pointing to the NAS disconnects, and
the entire copy process ends.

Last night I was able to change a TCP setting that I think will fix a (new
to MS) setting that tries to dynamically tune TCP parms, which may be
responsible for the disconnect of the mapped drive.

However I'm still stumped as to how to overcome the long file names and
unicode issue. I use a free tool called Karen's Replicator to manage the
process and it's worked flawlessly for about two years. (I have the latest
version of the tool which supposedly supports unicode too.)

I've even did a full system restore of a system image from two years ago
and re-tried and it still failed. The only thing that is different is that
I had to get a new Linksys router about two months ago but I can't think
that that would be the culprit.

At this point I am looking for any input because I'm not finding much on
the internet other than there are some documented issues related to copying
data from NTFS to EXT4.

The software on the NAS is current as is the updates on my Win7 system.

Thoughts/comments anyone?