On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM, Don <dr2@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've attempted to download Oracles java, etc and it tells me I can't run it
on XP...hey if it works for you take it and run :)

Are you sure it's *preventing* you from installing it, though? I
remember seeing messages myself, and some of them did seem very
strongly worded. But I pushed through them without much incident.
Maybe certain "installation pathways" are truly closed off, but others
are merely open-but-not-guaranteed. By pathway I mean maybe there is a
difference between going through the updater (for an already-installed
Java) and downloading a full installer and running it from scratch.
Also, there was one particular Java update (don't remember exactly
which one, but I'm pretty sure it was earlier this year) which really
just did not work on XP. A subsequent update fixed that, so that you
could install on XP at your own risk, which I have been doing ever
since.

I never said interop....I said functionality... :)

I know you didn't say interop, but for many people, interop *is*
functionality, so I brought it up in case such people are reading this
thread. For anyone working where I work, a critical component of
functionality is being able to exchange documents among coworkers with
zero loss of fidelity. Because Microsoft Office is used by almost
everyone here, LibreOffice does not work in this environment.