Hi Dan,

Usually banking websites use https (HTTP with SSL/TLS) and therefore will be secure even over public wifi connections.

The place where you need to be concerned is any site you connect to that uses plain text (i.e. unencrypted) data. In my experience, this is primarily when connecting to work (or a customer/client's server) because public web sites that share confidential info (such as banks) are already set up to keep themselves secure.

Work/customer/clients usually have a VPN set up on their network, which provides a lot of security. Once connected, not only will all communications go over the VPN (and therefore be encrypted) but it also lets you past their firewall, making your computer appear as a PC on their network, and therefore have access to all the trusted resources (that you are authorized to.)

Connecting to a public VPN service does not provide the same level of security. It will, of course, solve the issue of someone eavesdropping on your Wifi. But, the data is only encrypted between your computer and the VPN service, so it still needs to be sent in plain-text over the public network from the VPN server to the final site you're wishing to communicate with. As you point out, someone at the VPN service could eavesdrop on your data -- but I think much more likely, someone on the public internet could potentially eavesdrop if one of the networks that the data passes through should be compromised somehow.

Whereas when connecting to a business VPN, your data is usually just destined for that business -- so it never has to go unencrypted out to the public internet.

So, I would start by getting an idea of what exactly you're trying to protect against.. are there plain text sites that you visit that would be too dangerous to broadcast over public wifi? If so, a VPN service might be a solution. but if you're worried about more than just the public wifi, or if all the sensitive sites are already SSL anyway, then it's probably not worth it.