I did a tape drive cleaning yesterday during the day and the error occurred
last night.

Here's why I did the cleaning yesterday. When I came in to work yesterday
morning, the tape was popped out but the backup shouldn't have been done
yet. I looked at the backup software and it said there was no media in the
drive. So I inserted it. It popped out again. So I cancelled the backup,
power cycled the tape drive, and did a cleaning. It still wouldn't accept
that tape. (This is not the tape in question with the media errors in my
original post.)

So I asked the person who inserted the tape if anything unusual happened
and she said yes. She had dropped it. Arrghh! Don't tell me these
things, OK?