On 2/21/2013 12:38 PM, rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
I hope I am not starting a holy war but I want your opinion on
Android vs iPhone. As far as price goes - not my problem. Work is
paying for it. It will replace my Blackberry. Work is saying I can
pick either.

I've had both. From a UI and support perspective, I far prefer the iPhone.

The Android marketplace is heavily fragmented ... with some vendors keeping their phones current on Android versions, others abandoning phones to the older releases.

Because Android is a (more or less) open OS, there's a lot of flexibility in it. That, of course, means its also much more vulnerable to viruses & malware. iOS has a much lower risk of that (although not zero).

Apple has done a fine job of keeping even older iPhones on the latest version of the OS. Even my dads 3GS got iOS 6.0.

iPhone standardization also makes it easier to get accessories that fit well. Of course with the change from the 30 pin connector to "Lightning", that's kind of moot.

Android phones are completely non-standard ... although they all will use standard USB connections for power and data transfer. Getting a good clock or car dock is next to impossible, unless the manufacturer provides it. I did like my Atrix's car dock. It was able to tell when it was in the car dock and activate features.

I am active in Scouting. So a healthy battery life is advantageous.

Battery life is a crapshoot ... depends on what you're running and how it's used.

To extend an iPhone's battery life you can turn off all the services you absolutely don't need and it will run for quite a while.

Same goes with Android ... although I've had apps run that caused the phone to heat up and zero the battery in a a few hours with no usage.

I use it a lot for calling, texting, checking my Lotus Notes email
and calendar. 5250 in a terrible pinch. Wouldn't mind having a
better app for car navigation.

Both should have no problem with any of those. Mocha's 5250 app is available for Android & iOS.

As for navigation apps, I don't like Google maps or Apple maps on the iPhone. I use MotionX GPS Drive. On the Android, the google maps app was OK, until it stopped working on the Atrix.

david