I've got a Dell Dimension 9100 with XP Pro on it and I'm trying to upgrade it to Win 8 pro using their $39 upgrade offer.

It's been stopping at "Getting Devices Ready" at random percentages. Some people have had luck just letting it sit for hours and eventually continues. I let it go for 12 hours yesterday with no progress.

Does anyone have a link that will explain how to troubleshoot this type of thing? I really haven't found anything useful yet. BTW, this is not an empty disk install, it's installing in-place.

Failing a quick resolution, I've had an idea that I'm think I actually would prefer. Install Win 7 on it using the key I got for the Win 8 upgrade. I should be able to do this, correct? I've found the iso image for Win 7 Pro 32 bit.

Bill