Well, one reason for the bloat is trying to be able to recognize & handle
the ever-increasing variety of threats. Lots of modern malware comes in
'families' where the base code is more like a payload distributor than
anything else. Then there's the payload itself which may or may not be
malicious. And some threats are designed to evade detection or even lie
dormant for long periods before waking up.

The vendors have been using heuristics for analysis but at best it can only
supplement the traditional pattern-matching that goes on. And while the
signatures work on code families there are also new threats and one-offs to
try & find. McAfee, for instance, has their Global Threat Intelligence
network which does cloud-based malware analysis & rules generation. If an
endpoint sees something that it thinks is behaving like malware but it
doesn't match the known signatures, it sends a copy of the code to McAfee's
cloud where an engine analyzes it. If found to be malicious it generates a
temporary rule & sends it back to the client who gets immediate
protection. The whole thing happens in milliseconds so users don't even
notice. The temp rule is also sent out to all clients who connect going
forward. The auto-generated temp rules are not very efficient so they are
eventually replaced by algorithms coded by the engineers. Those go into
the signature updates.

There's a lot of code that goes into the analysis. And really, it'll never
get smaller unless the vendors pull out detection for older threats. But
there's also a fair bit of code that goes into the AV management component.

Nothing is free from suspicion. Even fonts:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/bulletin/ms12-078

BTW, some newer products, especially on the server/network side, do things
like fire up mini-VMs and actually execute email attachments so they can
observe their behavior.