IMHO, it's kind of a crap shoot. I moved from McAfee to Trend Micro's PCCillin (?) when McAfee got bloated and slow. After two year Trend Micro was following McAfee so I went with Norton, because I got it free from my ISP.

I have removed Norton and re-installed it on my home machine to solve a problem.

I have remove McAfee and reinstalled it on my neighbor's machine to solve a problem.

We dumped Trend Micro at work about 18 month ago because of server problem (I'm not the networking guy so can't be more specific,

That said, I run Norton on my desktop at home and Avast on my laptop.

Now I suspect this didn't help you at all, other than to say I have suffered the uninstall, reintall pain.

Sam