I bought a new laptop in September & it came with the $15 upgrade. So last weekend I downloaded W8Pro and let it install (after backing up the PC, of course).

MS did a decent job for folks who are looking to upgrade. Their pre-upgrade analyzer will point out apps & drivers that don't work on Win8 and those results persist post-upgrade as alerts so you can visit the vendors to pull down updates. My list was pretty short - about 5 things - and none were critical so I went ahead & let the analyzer uninstall them for me.

The upgrade I did was the one that preserved apps, files, and settings. You can also do a clean install upgrade if you want.

Apps & settings for Office, Firefox, and everything else I've used so far carried over with no problems. The overall upgrade starting after the base code was downloaded took about an hour. Hardware is a Sony Vaio S Series laptop with a 3rd Gen Core i5, 12GB RAM, and a 640GB 7200 RPM laptop HD. IMO the HD was the main bottleneck.

The new interface takes getting used to, especially if your machine is not touch-enabled. But I honestly don't think its bad from a user POV if you're willing to let go of the old way. The main bad thing to me is when it, for lack of a better term, thunks into W7 compatibility to support apps that don't do the Metro-inspired UI. It breaks the cohesiveness of the interface. I supposed that'll shift over time as more native W8 apps come out. MS really, really really should have come out with W8 Office & offered a free or super-cheap migration.

I'm still very much a novice on it so far. I can see some good things, some maybe not so good.

Teaching someone who's new to Windows would probably be much better on a touch-enabled device.

There is a free RDP client in the W8 app store.

On , Mike Wills <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have it installed, but started having speed issues on my Mac. I haven't

gotten around to playing with it again. The interface is quite confusing.

--

Mike Wills

http://mikewills.me