They never cracked/hacked Honan's passwords.
It wasn't a case of passwords shared across multiple accounts.

The problem is that different service providers put varying value on personal information. Amazon treated the last 4 digits of the credit card as low importance, while Apple treated the same 4 digits as proof of identity. Amazon allowed the attacker to add his own credit card to Honan's account over the phone, using address as proof of ID. Even though his address is in the WHOIS public database.

The attacker didn't crack Honan's passwords, he used the weak authentication policies of Amazon and Apple to get those passwords reset.

It's good to use strong passwords. This will help defeat brute forcing and rainbow tables. But consider this. If you lose your LastPass password, can it be reset? If so, what does LastPass accept as proof that the caller is you?
--buck