In early May I cashed in some Best Buy gift cards that I got for Christmas
and got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. I got the 7-inch version on the day that
it came out ($250). The same day I ordered an iPad-2 for my wife's
birthday. I didn't have a good reason for getting them other than I
wanted a new toy and she wanted to keep up with technology being used by
teachers. I chose both based on the price/feature ratio. Mine has more
features, more memory (I added a 32GB micro-SD card), and overall cost
less. Here's costs more, has less memory (16GB), but has more apps
available. Your choice may depend on what you want to do with it.

I have an Android phone (which I love) and had considered buying a Nook,
researching it Samsung announced the Galaxy Tab 2 for the same price. It's
native Android, has two built-in cameras, and an IR port. I believe that
you can put a SIM card in it and use as a phone but I haven't tried that.
It's wifi-only but I've got an app that lets it get internet access from
my phone via Bluetooth. It works fine for an e-reader.

A couple weeks after I got my 7-inch Galaxy Tab 2 the 10-inch version came
out. Since I've gotten used to my 7-inch version the 10-inch seems too
big. I do like the placement of the speakers better on the 10-inch. They
are on either side of the tablet when held in a landscape orientation. The
speaker for the 7-inch is at the bottom when held in a portrait
orientation.

The bottom line is price, features, and if you want a full tablet vs. an
e-reader.

Dave Parnin